A day in the life

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

First blog/My first date in 6 months

This is my first post on blog. I must admit that I have never done anything quite like this before, and I can't guarantee that I will post something on a consistent basis. However, I am really looking forward to sharing stories that have occurred in my life, and I welcome any and all comments (whether they are good or bad). One thing you must know before I continue, is that I am gay male, in my late 20's, in the Philadelphia area. Most of the stories I will be sharing from my life will be stories from school and work, stories about my friends and some stories about my dating life. The blog you are going to read below contains information about my frist date in 6 months. To give you some background information, I met this guy online about a month ago. I have been growing more tired of the bar scene. I started graduate school about 2 years ago, and this resulted in my decline in going out to bars and clubs. I have never, in my experience, found someone who I can actually have more than a one night stand with in a bar. Ã…lthough, I must say that I am not looking for marriage off the bat, I certainly would like to meet someone with the expectation that the pleasure I will have with them will go beyond an hour. Anyway, back to information on my date. So, we finally decide to meet and what you read below is what happened. I swear everything that occurred is the whole truth. I am interested in knowing if these things ever happened to you? If it hasn't, please tell me what you have done to avoid these situations. I swear if I had a nickle for everytime I had a date like this one.. ..........


We talk on Friday night and we decide to meet at a netural location at 2 the next day. We meet up, he looked nice, and we decide to go and get pizza (Keep in mind that this date orginally was only suppose to be for pizza.)

Well, we get to the pizza place, and things are going really well. There is one comment he makes about being a baptist, which freaked me out a little, but other than that, I was really enjoying his company. He is very smart, has a great laugh, kind of cute-- just really good company. After we grab some pizza, he says, "Do you want to catch a movie?". I am like "Sure". He says, "Do you want to see the new Harry Potter Movie". I wanted to say "NOOOOO", but I just told him, "yeah" (Harry Potter isn't my cup of tea.) So, we get in his car, and this is where the date goes way down hill.

We are heading to the movie theatre, and he brings up his religion again (he is baptist, remember), and talks about God this and God that (we've only been on the date for an hour!) He starts asking me about what religion I am, what church do I belong to, how often I go to church, etc.? I am like, "I rather not talk about this right now"

Then he moves onto whether I have ever had sex with a woman. I am like "No, I haven't". He gives me this bizarre look. I say, "What is that look about". He says " you're only 28" (he's 36), and he said "If you were 60 and never had sex with a woman, then I would be concerned". I say "Why do I need to have sex with a woman. I know who I am and I know that is not something I want to do." He says, "Well, every gay person should have straight sex once to see what is like." So, I say, "Well does that work in the reverse, do all straight people need to have sex with their same sex to be sure that they are straight?"

It was such a ludicrous statement to make.

He is like "No, they don't." Then I am like, "Why is there a double standard, and why is it perceived that because you are straight, you know your sexuality more than a gay person?"

Anyway, he backs off of that topic, and moves onto to other things... Keep in mind I am still in this man's car..... So, he then goes on to talking about why "us" gay people can't be in a long term relationships. I am like "Well, why can't all straight people stay in long term relationships." He is like, well, statistics, blah, blah, blah (I tuned out after that). I basically said that "everyone is looking for the best package for them and sometimes that is hard to find, and it is hard to get it once you find it, because your idea of perfection may not look at you and feel the same way."

Then he says.. I kid you not.. "Well, we all know only one person is perfect, and he died for our sins."

Inside my head, I am like "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH".

So, I get through the movie, because he paid for it, and I knew it would be rude to runaway at that moment.

Towards the end of the evening, my friend calls from Boston, to finalize his plans for when he comes to visit. We talk on the phone for 5 minutes (no more than that.) Well, don't you know he starts asking questions about him, and how long he will be here, and why does he have to stay with me.. Doesn't he have family here, etc, etc, etc. I am like, are you f**king kidding. This date lasted 8 hours, and you would have thought we were together for 8 years.

So, I respond by saying, "No he doesn't have anywhere else to stay and if he did, he would still stay with me." OMG! What a mess.

I hate to call this date a nightmare, because he wasn't rude, mean, or crass, but he was so one way and I was another.

I mean, its great he found God and everything, but I certainly don't think that is a good conversation to have with someone who has only known you an hour.

Plus, I don't do the whole one date and you're married thing.,

So, I think we won't go out again.

I know this post is really long, but its my frist one! If anyone read this, I am wondering what you would have done if you were in my shoes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home