A day in the life

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Weight Of The World

The State of the world has really begun to concern me. Especially, the feelings America's youth is facing these days. With all the pressures to succeed in society and be the perfect student, the perfect friend, the perfect lover, the perfect everything-- it really creates a receipe for an impossible feast.

With all these school shootings, suicides, people on anti-depressents, getting gastric- bypasses, facelifts, tummy tucks, etc. I can help but wonder what happened to individuality and feeling that you are enough?

The latest issue that has occurred that has made me question how we, as people, are in society, comes as a result of yet another school shooting that has occurred in my area. A teenage boy stole his father's gun, left his house, went into the school and killed himself.

All because his grades weren't up to par.

This young man was an Eagle Scout, a volunteer fireman, and was on various other committees at his school. Yet, because he had one bad report card period and his parents told him to shape up his grades or he will have to pull back on his extra curricular activities, he made a decision to take his own life.

It makes you wonder if this young man was so desparate to end his own life based on such a small situation, who else could be out there on the same fence, feeling the same emotions this boy had?

There is no doubt that as a teenager or even as an adult you feel desparate at times. You feel that NO ONE knows or even cares (at times) to know of what you are going through. And that even going through your normal day can feel like an impossible task.

It just makes me sad when someone takes the option behind door# 2 that ends not only those terrible feelings, but fails to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

When I was a child there were so many times that I felt like an outcast with the people around me. As a result, I would try to connect with people with my personality (I still do this, actually), and would overachieve in school, just to get positive praise and attention from my family.

And when I wasn't successful at either one of those things, I have to say that I felt my world was over.

Fortunantely, for me though, I kept going. I don't know how or even why, but I did. It certainly isn't easy to wake up and have a bay day or to feel sad, or feel like a failure, even. I just wish that people would talk more about how these are normal emotions to have and to give someone the guidance that they will get better.

You can't read minds or hearts, and you just don't know what someone else is thinking/feeling. And you certainly can't tell if or when someone would be willing to do something so drastic to themselves--even if they are your friend.

It just makes me incredibly sad to see a promising person, who had so much ahead of them in life, cut their life short over a minor situation.

Of course, wih me saying this, I realize it wasn't so minor, but I just wish society talked more about how it is normal to feel many of the emotions this young man had felt.

How can this be done?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home