A day in the life

Monday, February 15, 2010

Saint Valentine THIS.

Valentine's Day is really a emotionally crackable "holiday" for many people in this world. The "holiday", or more accurately: hallmark day, has a tendency to exclude and create an inferiority complex for many singletons.

I, among those singletons, use to have quite the disdain for St. Valentine. The "holiday", created great loneliness, and a feeling of isolation for me, all because I didn't have someone to be in "love" with me on the 14th of February-- while, it seemed, my friends did.

As I have gotten older, however, and I have matured, I realized that the problem isn't with Valentine's day at all. The problem lies in the people who believe that this one day can symbolize one's own self-worth, or with those that believe one day can make up for a whole year of neglect.

The reality is that most peoples' lives are in transition. And, just because you have someone in your life, doesn't mean you are any more special than someone else, or better, or even more figured out. The reality is that it just means that you are lucky. Is luck really reason to give a "holiday" to someone, and neglect others who seemingly are not?

Cupid might have struck his arrow at some, and completely missed me year after year. Or, perhaps, struck me with poison arrows. However, whether I have a lover or not, or whether I am privileged/lucky enough to celebrate Valentine's Day, it doesn't make me any greater/better/or less fucked up than the person that doesn't have anyone.

I have learned every one's path is different. Every one's road leads to a different destination, and along the way, your experiences will be different. Sometimes it will be difficult, and can lead you into a haze of mystery, greatness and inevitably disappointment. The no frills reality is that you may or may not get what you want in life, and you have to either get off the road or continue going. Hope and faith in something doesn't guarantee results, but if you allow bitterness and loneliness to take over, then you will probably be less likely to have a smooth ride on your highway of life.. So, what else can you do, but to embrace who are, and avoid things that exclude and look for more things that would appreciate you-- scars and all.

And no one needs a "holiday" to tell us that we stand out, cause most of the time, most of us feel like we already do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home