A day in the life

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Keep Your Hands Off My Plate

Its always fascinating to me the feelings of entitlement people have in the world. This weekend reminded me once again how this feeling will never go out of style.

The other day I went to visit my Mom, we went shopping and just did the typical weekend activities/task. In our trails, we decided to grab some lunch. While we were eating lunch, I decided to have the other half of my food wrapped up- because I was full, and because I am trying to shed some lbs.

After we ate lunch, we back to my Mom's house and I put the package of wrapped food on my Mom's dining room table, and just hung out and watched t.v. As the day progressed, my Uncle (my Mother's brother) who lives with her and my Stepfather, came downstairs, looks at the package, opens it and starts to eat the contents. After eating about a 1/4 of the food, he asks: "Does this belong to anyone?" . My natural response wanted to be "YES, IT WAS MINE AND I WANTED IT." However, I didn't want for my Mom to be subjected to my anger toward him, so I told him it was my food, and he can just eat it anyway.

This isn't the first time my Uncle had done this. He does this a lot, and he has this incredibly rude habit of even walking around the table and just grabbing off your plate without even asking. Now, granted, I don't mind sharing with someone, but I hate when people think it is ok for them to just take, take, take. This is especially true when it comes to someone's food. If I have a plate of food, its because I am hungry and because I want to eat what's on my plate.

To be someone who doesn't like others to eat off of his plate, I realize that I might be in the minority. However, I am starting to think what is bothering me more isn't the fact that people take off my plate as much as it is that the lack of manners that people have when it comes to others personal space.

I feel that people should keep their hands on their own plate and if they are interested in eating/trying something someone else is eating-- they should ask and not just grab. If by chance that the person you're asking is gracious enough to allow you to have some of their food, take the time to thank them for their generous gift. Also, and more importantly, even if they don't, at least be understanding that they have it on their plate for a reason, and it wasn't so you can take half of it for yourself.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Dr. Me said…

    your uncle is a pig. i want to fart in his general direction.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home