A day in the life

Friday, January 27, 2006

Another Birthday... Ummm.. Err.. Another Job?

As I am approaching my next birthday (29-- Yikes), over the next few days, I have come to think about many things. Things such as, what it will be like to be another year older, how much fun it would be to hang out and celebrate, and how I am closer to being done grad. school. However, the one thing I did not think about in my thoughts was searching for a new job.

I have not been laid off, or fired, etc.-- well, yet anyway. Today, at work, my boss, sat us all down and told us that our responsibilities are shifting. In particular, I will be doing more support for students and much less support for administrators. To say that I was shocked is an understatement.

When I began this job 5 years ago, I was assigned three dorms to support on campus (oh, btw, I work at a University where I live), in addition to supporting the in-house faculty and staff. As time has passed on, I have gained more responsibilities at my job, up to and including supporting the Summer Programs that come on campus which includes just as many residents as me and my 3 other colleagues support during the yeat.

In our department, like most departments, our jobs often crossover, and we do assist each other when neeeded. However, this complete alter of things concerns me. How we must breakdown what percentage we spend on each task of our jobs concerns me, and the reason of "we are trying to fill another position" to justify it really concerns me.

I was the last one in my department to be hired, so if there is a downsize, I know I will be the first to go. Which, I will say this right now, I am planning to look for another job after I finish Grad. School (and receive my free tuition because of working there), for bigger and better things. However, I want to dictate when this occurs and not have it be dictated to me. I am so close to being down grad. school (one class left, and my thesis!), if I get cut off now, it will be less than desirable-- to say the least. Also, I want to stay on campus, and if I am "let go", it is so hard to get a job on campus versus if you are working there-- typical, right?

I just don't know what to think and I think I am jumping the gun, but I must send out resume's starting on Monday (the day before my b-day), and make sure I am not surprised. *Sigh*--- Not what I want to be thinking about for my b-day.

I just don't know what to think or do. I feel so helpless. Anyone out there that can give me a clue?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home