A day in the life

Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Holiday Buzz

Tonight was interesting evening involving the holiday season.

My Mom had her annual gathering of her relatives at her house, for good food and hopefully to inspire people to have good moods.

I said inspire, because it never ceases to amaze me how awkward family get togethers can be for families--especially my Mother's family. Of course, there are a multitude of reasons why they seem to never to be as comfortable as they should be, but there isn't enough space on this blog for me to elaborate about it.

That said, however, I have to say that the gathering at my Mother's house this year was actually a lot of fun. Of course there were times I had sarcastic remarks to make (just because that is my nature). However, I only expressed these things to my best friend, because she was there and because I knew she understood.

These items of sarcasm included: seeing a video of my cousin skydiving, my Step Father insisting showing the family a DVD of our most recent trip to Disney World, my uncle showing a clip of a Christmas museum that he wants "all the family to "attend", and not mention my Aunt's 3 year old grandson screaming the whole time-- it was actually not bad.

Except for my one uncle. My one uncle who is at best 300 lbs. comes into my Mom's house and the first thing he says to me is that "you have put on weight, you look like your Dad." Granted, I have grown used to the idea of hearing that I look like my father, but generally speaking, this was at best was meant to be something that was suppose to get to me.

Then my uncle proceeded to ride my ass about how a recent e-mail I sent to him included not misspelled words, but incorrect words (i.e., wholes instead of holes, hire instead of higher)-- which by the way Microsoft spellcheck changed and I hit replace all without paying attention.

After he felt to highlight this to me, he then went onto to ask me how to spell frugal because he was listening in on a conversation between me and my best friend.

Finally, my Uncle, before he left decided to give me some "wisdom" on his way out the door. He told me that because I was overweight, it causes jeans to create holes in the crotch area of the pants and it wasn't merchandiser's fault for my crappy pants, but my own for being overweight.

I won't deny to you that I have put on weight. However, in the last 6 months, I have actually stop gaining weight and have leveled off, in result of going to the gym. I am proud of this achievement and I am happy to say that I weigh 206 lbs, because I finally am not gaining weight, and hopefully soon i will no longer be in this weigth-class.

However, beyond that and beyond my own goals to lose weight. I think it was awful of him to point out something that was truly meant to make me feel bad. We all have a tendency to say hurtful things unintentionally-- perhaps once to someone an evening-- but saying other remarks 3 additional times in one night, makes me wonder WHY he was so focused on my own faults.

I can't pretend that my weight doesn't bother me and I can't pretend his remarks won't stay with me as I am trying to lose this weight. However, I feel it really goes over the line to point out someones flaws again and again.

Then again, I only see him once a year so he might feel the need to get his digs in.

Besides that, why should I really care about his opinion when I barely see him?

Though, it does bother me. Am I wrong to feel this way?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home