A day in the life

Friday, January 20, 2006

You Spray Your Cologne Where?

Recently I caught with my cousin, who just started to go Grad. School herself, to see how she was handling being in school with work, etc. Although our conversation about school was very light, our discussion when it came to men got very intense.

She told me that a few weeks before I called her, that she caught her boyfriend for a year, updating his Internet personal-- on her computer. When she confronted him (because he failed to delete the hiistory-- idiot), he told her that she violated his privacy and trust, etc. My cousin appropriately responded "Well, if the rest of the world can knows you're "single", why can't the girl dating you know it as well.." followed by a few expletives.. . and " You did it on my computer-- You.... Beeeeep moron"

Her recent experience leads into my latest thought. What are men thinking? They cannot be that dumb-- or can they? Being of the male species myself, I have to say while I feel I am bright, the men I date are kind of stupid.

Take for instance my last date. This guy and I had talked on the phone for weeks before we met, and really had good phone conversation. He was smart, charming, and seemed really down to earth-- then we met. The first thing I noticed about him was the amount of colgone scent that trailed him when we met up. This colgone was STRONG. I mean, I couldn't even smell my garlic scented artichoke dip after he sat down. From there it just got worse.

He talked, talked, talked, and talked.. What you might be thinking-- I have no idea. I just felt I was a contestant on a show called "His life", and the object of the game was to faux interest-- needless to say I was losing pretty badly.

Then, it got interesting. He mentioned owning a 100 different types of cologne, and saying that the one he was wearing was his favorite. I said, "Well, I have to say its a pretty strong scent." He then goes "Well, its not really that strong, I just sprayed in 10 different areas." My natural response "TEN different areas-- how did you find the places?"

To my amazement, he started naming the ten different areas.

The final of the ten places he named off was his hair-- Yes his hair! Now to give you a description of this man, he is balding, he hair is patchy in many areas, and he is attempting the wetlook--he needs help! After he said that I was like "ooohhhhh", and for the rest of the date was fixated on that he actually sprayed his hair with cologne (I mean if you really want your hair to smell nice, there is a thing called shampoo and conditioner), and how someone wakes up one day and says-- I need to start doing this because it will be good for me.

Maybe I just don't get it.

Or ...........

Maybe most men don't get it. Doing stupid things will cause stupid things to happen. If you are planning to cheat on your girlfriend, how about not doing it from her computer. More importantly, if you spray your hair with a chemical and your hair starts to fall out and your scalp is patchy, and you can't keep more than one date with someone-- maybe, just maybe, you should re-evaluate what you're doing, so you can stop scaring people away.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Christopher said…

    It's true. Men are just plain stupid. When I was dating my ex-boyfriend, and he started receiving copies of the magazine Details, I just assumed he was interested in culture and style, etc... Now that I'm single and a premium member of gay.com, for purposes of trying to find a NEW boyfriend, I suddenly started receiving Details magazine. When it dawned on me that this was the very reason my ex- had been receiving it, I felt like the most naïve person in the world. He never cared about culture and style enough to subscribe to a magazine, but he sure cared enough about cruising other guys during our relationship to maintain a full subscription to gay.com.

    I should confess that I did know all along that he was haunting gay.com and manhunt, and that I was also naïve enough to buy into his excuses that he was only using them for innocent chat and for making friends. But I guess I'm too trusting, give people too much benefit of the doubt sometimes. Like the man who used his girlfriend's computer to update his online personals profile, my boyfriend took advantage of that trust. I only wish I had been as strong as her to stand up and say, "WTF?!!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home